Your Guide, Bob


September 7, 2013…7:00am-12:30pm A cool 51 degrees greeted us this morning. Winds were SSW at 5-10 mph with very overcast skies. No real sunshine appeared until the trip was over. The water temperature has dropped to 68.9 degrees. We made the run down to Lakewood Beach and caught 4 smallmouth on tubes. After the bite stopped we made a stop at Lakewood Bar and fished the lower gap between the Shoal and the shoreline with a drop shot and a tube with no success. We then headed up to Warner’s Bar and fished the outer rim still using the drop shot and a tube and caught one more smallmouth. We made stops at Mission Meadows, the Packard Mansion and the Viking but could not get a bite. We finished in Sunset Bay where we caught 6 largemouth on the docks that still remained in the water. Many are out and many more look ready to be pulled.  
August 30, 2013…6:30am-1:30pm The water temperature has continued to drop and was 74.3 degrees this morning. We had overcast skies and 73 degrees with a forecast of rain that never came. Winds were SSW 5-10 mph. We started at a point just below Irwin Bay along the Chautauqua Institution shoreline fishing a 10-14 foot drop-off using tubes and drop shot with no luck. We moved up the lake to a drop-off outside the Mayville Flats using the drop-shot, tubes and a jigging spoon but could only catch a few perch. We moved into Harfield Bay and fished some docks and caught 4 largemouth using soft stick baits. The next stop was Mission Meadows where we caught 2 smallmouth on a drop shot Gulp leech. We did the same at the Viking and got one smallmouth and one largemouth along the weed line. Both took a tube. We moved into Sunset Bay and fished a few more docks and caught 6 largemouth in there. The last stop was in Whitney Bay where we caught 5 more largemouth. None of the fish were bigger than 2 pounds.  
August 20, 2013…7:00am-12:00pm The algae bloom is still covering most of the lake. Even with the cooler temperatures it just seems to increase. This morning we started with 58 degrees and partly cloudy skies. The water temperature was at 69.4 degrees but soon got to 71.2 degrees as the sun found its way around the clouds. Winds were from the South at less than 5 mph. We started at Mission Meadows fishing tubes along the outside weed line in 10-13 feet. The first cast produced a nice smallmouth. Unfortunately that would be the end of the bite after 2 drifts and trying a deep running crankbait. We moved down to the Viking and managed to catch another smallmouth, but again nothing more. We made the run down the lake to Lakewood Beach but could not get a smallmouth bite there either. Next was Sheldon Hall and that was a bust. We moved back up the lake to Colburn and caught 4 largemouth on the docks on a soft stick bait. We finished up in Bemus Bay and caught 4 more largemouth doing the same technique. If the darn weed cutters would stop chopping up all the weed beds we might be able to go back to flipping the weed beds.  
August 18, 2013…6:30am-11:30am The algae bloom is in full force. Parts of the lake have brown color algae and other parts are green. Either way it’s ugly and messy! Hopefully the cooler nighttime temperatures will start and kill it off. So far that is not the case. The morning temperature was 58 degrees with a slight overcast. The water temperature was 69-71 degrees. Winds were SW at 5-10 mph. This was a Muskie trip so we began above Chautauqua Point off the condos casting big spinner baits and inline spinners. We could not raise a fish so we moved down to Dewittville and fished the inner point on the outside weed line again with no takers. We continued down the Mission Meadows weed line and a 5.6 pound smallmouth took the inline spinner offering. That fish came from a depth of 15 feet and was the only fish on that drift and the only one of the day. We worked the weed line at Midway Park and then went south to Ashville Bay and Hadley Bay all with no other fish.  
August 10, 2013…7:00am-12:00pm The water temperature has cooled to 70-73 degrees with the now much cooler nights. The morning temperature was 60 degrees and did warm up to 74 by trips end. The algae bloom is getting worse but the cooler temperatures should start to kill it off if they continue. The wind was SSE less than 5 mph to start with overcast skies and made a complete swing to NW at 8-10 mph with sunny skies by 11 am. We started at Sheldon Hall but could not get a bite so we moved over to Lakewood Beach and caught one smallmouth on a tube in 6-7 feet off the gravel bottom. When the wind shifted SW we moved up to the Viking and caught 5 smallmouth using a tube and a drop shot rig. The wind was blowing on to the weed line and the fish were set up into the wave action. These fish came from 11-13 feet off the outside of the weed line. The wind shifted again to the NW so we moved up to Mission Meadows and fished the same depth with the same baits and caught 3 more smallmouth. Once the smallmouth bite quit we finished up the trip fishing some docks in Sunset Bay and Bemus Bay where we caught 3 largemouth on soft stickbaits. None of the fish had any size to them. Some were not even keepers.  
August 7, 2013…6:30am-10:00am. Cooler night time temperatures have lowered the water temperature to 73 degrees. We started the morning with S winds at 12 mph and a 59 degree temperature. The wind definitely made the upper basin rough. Since we were already up there we gave Mission Meadows one drift but could not get a bite. One fish did follow the tube jig right to the boat but turned away. We moved to the shelter of Long Point and fished Sunset Bay docks using the new Havoc Flat Dawg and a Venom Salty Sling. We caught 8 largemouth with one being a very nice 4 ½-5 pound fish. The wind seemed to die down just a bit so we moved up to the Viking to finsh out the trip and caught one smallmouth and 2 more largemouth. All three fish took a mellon tube on the outside weed edge in 10-11 feet.  
July 24, 2013…6:30am-12:30pm. Today was the day after the cold front. The temperature was 54 degrees and never got warmer than 64 degrees. It was really windy with NW winds switching to N at 10-20 mph. The upper basin was absolutely out of the question with white caps and 2 footers at 6:30 when we started. The water temperature held right around 76-77 degrees. It was cloudy and overcast all morning. We ran down the lake along the north shoreline to Sheldon Hall and had fairly calm water but could not get a bite. We took a chance and ran across to Lakewood Beach and fished a tube hoping for a smallmouth bite like we had last week. The wind made fishing tough and we could not get bit there either. We moved to the Kendall Club Bay and fished the shoal and docks in the bay and caught 3 largemouth. We next moved up the lake into Driftwood still fishing the docks and caught 5 more largemouth. We did the same in the bay below Belleview Point and added 4 more largemouth to our total. All the fish were caught on soft stick baits. Most were caught on green pumpkin, some on smoke. All the bays were sheltered from the wind making the fishing very doable under the current weather conditions.  
July 19, 2013…6:00am-11:30am. It was another very hot day with temperatures in the high 80’s and sunny skies. The wind was not an issue since there wasn’t even much of a breeze until the trip was over leaving the lake absolutely dead flat calm. The water temperature started at 77.8 degrees and by 10am had risen to 83.6 degrees. Anyone for baked fish? We started at Sheldon Hall but could not entice even a panfish bite so we moved to Lakewood Beach and fished a tube jig along a gravel bottom in 6-8 feet and caught 3 smallmouth and missed the hook up on a few more. We moved to the Greenhurst shoreline and fished some docks there where we caught 2 largemouth. We made a run up to the Colburn shoreline and fished some of those docks and caught 8 largemouth. We decided to give Sheldon Hall another shot so we ran down there, stopping at Driftwood with no success. Once at Sheldon Hall we caught 2 more largemouth and one smallmouth. Except for the fish at Lakewood Beach all the fish were caught on a soft stickbait, one of which was the new Havoc “Flat Dawg”.  
July 15, 2013…6:30am-11:30am. A light south wind made the lake nearly flat the entire trip. The water temperature to start was 77.6 degrees and the air temperature was 75 degrees with cloudy skies almost looking like we would get rained on. It never did. We started on Mission Meadows using tube jigs. We caught two smallmouth that were very small. We moved up the lake to Dewitteville and fished the milfoil weed bed with plastic worms but could only get one largemouth in the boat. We moved in on the docks along that shoreline and caught two largemouth skipping a new bait, a Havoc Flat Dawg, under the docks. We also used a Pop’R between the docks but could only get rock bass to take that offering. We ran down the lake to Sheldon Hall and caught 3 largemouth and 1 smallmouth around the rock piles there. The last stop was some docks along Shore Acres where we caught one more largemouth.  
July 3, 2013…11:30am-2:30pm. It was hot! The temperature was 84 degrees and the water temperature was up to 76.8 degrees. Winds were from the SW at 5-10 mph with cloudy skies. This was a trip with the 8 year old grandson which explains the late time. HA! We went into Sunset Bay and stayed there the entire fishing time. We caught 2 smallmouth and 9 largemouth skipping soft stick baits under and around the docks. And yes, he skips the baits like a champ. The fish ranged in size from 3 pounds down to roughly 10 inches. Then the forecasted rain came so we high tailed it back to the ramp and home. Hope everyone had a safe and relaxing 4th of July.  
June 29, 2013…6:30am-11:30am. Rain, rain and more rain over worked the bilge pump to day. The temperature was 61 degrees at the start with a 5-10 mph SW wind. The water temperature was 72.6 degrees. The lake was full of tournament anglers. One muskie tournament, one walleye tournament and at last 2 bass tournaments made finding open fishing spots difficult at best. We started on the ledge off of the Mayville Flats using tubes and a new bait, a Johnson Thin Fish. It is jigging bait similar to a Silver Buddy. That was the only bait that caught fish. The problem was the fish were perch, rock bass and silver bass… smallmouth. We ran down to Mission Meadows and fished the outer weed line doing the same thing but could not generate a bass strike. By now the showers had turned to a constant down pour so we headed into Irwin Bay to at least get out of the wind. There we caught one largemouth between the docks in the lily pads on soft stick bait. We ran up to Hartfield Bay and fished some docks and caught one largemouth and two smallmouth using the same soft stick bait technique. Although we fished Dewittville Bay jigging plastic worms later those 3 fish in Hartfield Bay would be our last fish. And of course, when did the rain stop, after we finished the trip. Thank goodness for rain gear.  
June 23, 2013…4:30pm-8:00pm. The wind from Saturday was still around from the SW at 12 mph gusting to 18 mph. It was sunny and warm with a temperature of 83 degrees. The water temperature was up to 75.8 degrees. The forecast was for the wind to lay down by 6 pm so we started in the bay between Lighthouse Pt and Chautauqua Marina fishing the docks. It was one of the few places out of the wind. We caught one largemouth there and lost one. Once we got to Lighthouse Pt we fished in front of the creek where there are some rocks and pilings in 6 feet of water. No bites there so we moved to the Chautauqua Institution Shoreline and fished a tube jig around an underwater point in 12-15 feet looking for smallmouth or walleye. That move produced nothing. By the time we were done there the wind had started to die down so we ran over into Dewittville Bat and fished the weed bed using Berkley Power Worms. We caught 2 largemouth in the weed bed and lost a few more. We moved into the docks and caught one on a soft stick bait. At this point the wind had completely died down so we went up to the ledge off of the Mayville Flats and fished tube jigs to finish out the trip. We lost one fish at the boat but never saw it.  
June 22, 2013…6:00am-2:00pm. Ok tournament day. The forecast was not good. SW winds 10-20 mph. The water temperature was 71.8- 74.2 degrees throughout the day. Skies were partly cloudy and the temperature went from 71 to 82 degrees. I drew boat number “13”. Thank goodness this was Saturday not Friday, HA! Waiting for my number to be called I noticed that even with the wind blowing hard the north side of Bemus Bay was dead calm so I made a last minute change in plans and headed into the bay where we had seen the bait activity yesterday. Well they were there but the bass would not bite in the weeds so I pulled into one of the big platform docks and fished around the entire setup with soft stick bait. Good decision because the first fish of the day was a 4.8 pound largemouth. Another one bit but got hung up in the dock and got off. There was some milfoil around the side of the dock and a 3 ½ pounder took a Berkley Power worm. Good start! Well the wind changed and that was the end of the bay. I ran down the lake and the further south I went the calmer the lake got. The next stop was Sheldon Hall. Using the same soft stick bait 4 fish came from the area, two nice fish, one that barely measured 12 inches and a short fish. Now the task was get rid of that 12 incher. You’d think that would be easy but after stops at Lakewood Beach, Hadley Bay and the bridge pilings I ended up of all places Bemus Bay with exactly 1 hour left. The dock where the big fish came from had people on it so moving down the shoreline 2 fish came out from under boatlifts culling out not only the 12 incher but the next small fish too with just under 15 minutes to go. Just enough time to get to the check in. The 5 fish limit weighed 15.71 pounds good for 3rd place.  
June 21, 2013…7:00am-12:00pm. This was a trip to prepare for a tournament the next day so we were not out to stick a bunch of fish. Winds were light and variable with partly cloudy skies. The water temperature was 71.4 degrees and the air temperature was 62 degrees. We started on the outside weed line in Bemus Bay. There were baitfish moving on the surface all over the place. We caught one small largemouth on a wacky rigged soft stick bait. We used a fluke, spinnerbait, and a Power Worm but could get no other action. We checked weed beds in Irwin Bay, Whitney Bay, the Viking and the south side of Bemus Bay where we managed only one more fish. Basically we eliminated a lot of water and stayed off water where we knew fish had been.  
June 18, 2013…7:00am-2:00pm. We had a mixed bag of wind directions today. It started out light from the SE then switched around to NNE, dropping down to no wind at times in the process. Eventually when it made up its mind to stay NE it built to 12-15 mph. The water temperature was 67.3 degrees at the start in the lower basin. We started in Hadley Bay pitching Power Worms to milfoil weed beds and caught two largemouth. Then moved to Ashville Bay and caught two more largemouth, one of which was released still in the water next to the boat. As the wind made its move to the NE the bay became too rough to fish so we headed up the lake stopping at the couple of the pilings where we lost a nice fish using a tube. With the NE wind the water was nearly flat in much of the upper basin along the northern shoreline so we checked Mission Meadows deep weed edge and caught nothing. We did the same along the Mayville flats weed edge with the same results. As we headed back down the lake we made a stop at the Viking and caught 4 largemouth and a short walleye using a dropshot with a Gulp leech, a shaky head with a worm and a tube. The last stop was the north shore of Bemus Bay where we caught 3 largemouth of docks using soft stick baits. It also was fairly calm and protected from that strong NE wind.  
June 17, 2013…6:00am-1:00pm. SW winds switching to W at 10-20 mph made today a bit difficult. The morning started with partly cloudy skies and a water temperature of 64-68 degrees. We fished Hadley Bay and Maple Bay in weeds 4- 8 feet deep pitching Berkley Power Worms and caught two largemouth. Once the wind started to pick up we headed up the lake to Irwin Bay and fished some docks catching three more largemouth using a weightless soft stick bait. The water clarity is improving. We need to get some warmer days to get the water temperature up into the 70’s. The smallmouth bite along the deep ledges is almost non existent.  
June 15, 2013…6:00am-2:00pm. The water temperature is still anywhere from 64.7 to 68 degrees. Today we had a W wind at 10-15 mph that switch to NW and an air temperature of 72 degrees with partly cloudy skies. The water had a slight stain but we could see down roughly 4 feet. We fished Hadley Bay in 7-9 feet deep weeds flipping Powerbait worms. We caught somewhere between 25 to 30 largemouth. Most were 1 -2 pounds with occasional 3 pounder. When the wind switched to the NW it made the water to rough to see the weed pockets so we moved to the bridge to fish some of the pilings. No luck there. We moved to Whitney Bay and fished the same 7-9 feet and caught 2 smaller largemouth. We made two more moves, one to the Viking and the other to Sunset Bay only catching 2 more largemouth. By now the wind was more of a pain than an aid so we put the boat on the trailer and came home.  
June 12, 2013…6:00am-1:00pm. The tale end of the rain storm from over night finished up as we launched this morning. The wind was NW at less than 5 mph, it was cloudy and 63 degrees. The water temperature was 64.3 degrees and eventually warmed to 67.8 degrees. The water was stained in the areas fed by the creeks and clear most everywhere else in the upper basin. The lower basin has a slight algae bloom already. We started at Lighthouse Point but had no takers. Next we moved to the Mayville flats and fished from the outside ledge all the way in flipping the weedbed and running topwater. There was a ton of baitfish everywhere but the fish were not interested in anything we offered. We then checked Dewittville Point and found nothing there either. At all the stops the water was dead calm which could have been part of the problem. We ran below the bridge and fished some weedbeds in Ashville Bay, Bly’s Bay and Hadley Bay using a Berkley Chigger Craw and a Berkley Power Worm and finally got some results in 7-8 feet pitching into the Milfoil holes. In all we caught or shook off 7 fish.  
June 9, 2013…7:00am-12:00pm. What a difference a few day make! One day the fish are on and the next day they are not. Today would be the NOT! Although the weather was great starting with 48 degree temperatures warming to 75 degrees, we struggled. The water temperature started at 58 degrees and was nearly 68 degrees by the end of the trip warmed from the very sunny skies. The water was clear enough in most spots to see down 5-6 feet and the winds were light and variable. The only problem, someone didn’t tell the fish to come out and play, at least for us. It was a struggle to get much of a bite. We went from one end of the lake to the other and could only come up with 1 very little smallmouth and 3 largemouth. The smallie came from 12-13 feet in the upper basin and the largemouth all came from a stretch of docks below Cheney’s Point in roughly 4 feet of water. The smallie took a tube offering and all three largemouth took a weightless soft stickbait. Oh well, looking back at the other reports I guess I shouldn’t whine and complain, huh?  
June 3, 2013…6:00am-9:00am. Because of the cold front the morning temperature was 46 degrees. The water temperature was 66.7 degrees and the clarity is getting much better. Winds from the NW at 10-15 mph and very cloudy conditions made the fishing a bit uncomfortable so we fished in Bemus Bay along the north shoreline to stay shielded from it. In the short time we fished we caught 3 smallmouth and 6 largemouth on small ¼ spinnerbaits and jigs in 2-4 feet. When the wind really started to pick up we decided that the food and coffee at the Long Point State Park ramp snack shop was more appealing so we headed in where it was warm. And it definitely was the right choice!  
June 1, 2013…6:00am-2:00pm. It was a windy forecast with SW winds at 15-25 mph. The water temperature was from 67.4-73.2 degrees depending on the lower or upper end and time of the day. 72 to 83 degree air temperature and cloudy skies helped warm the water. We used tubes, spinnerbaits, swim jigs and flukes on Warner’s Bar, the shoreline between the Viking and Dewittville, Sherman Bay and Bly Bay to catch 17 largemouth, 10 smallmouth and one walleye. All the fish except two came from 5 feet or less. Most of the fish were 2+ pounds with 3 in the 4 pound class. Water clarity varied. We had a lot of rain the last few days so anything close to the feeder creeks was stained. The rest was clear enough to se down about 3 feet. There was quite a bit of floating wood all over the lake.  
May 17, 2013…7:00am-12:00pm. Finally the weather straightened so we could get back out on the water. The winds were NE 5-10 mph making parts of the lower basin nearly flat calm. The water temperature started at 55.3 degrees and warmed to 61.2 by 10:30. Skies were partly cloudy and the water was pretty stained because of the high winds the previous two days. The air temperature was 43 degrees at the start. We fished the crib area to start but could only manage 1 smallmouth on a tube. We moved to Sheldon Hall and caught another smallmouth on a Pop R. Next we fished Bly’s Point and above and caught one more smallmouth on a Berkley Hollow Belly swimbait. We moved back to the N side of the lake and fished the Colburn shoreline with a couple of different swimbaits and got three smallmouth to follow the baits but caught none. We moved back to the crib area and caught 4 more smallmouth on a tube. Colors of the baits were melon pepper for the tube and pearl white and perch for the swimbaits. We saw no bedded fish in the shallows. The water temperature needs about another 5 degrees before they will be up.  
May 7, 2013…7:00am-1:00pm. We fished the lower basin the entire trip today. Depending on where we were the water temperature was 58.2-63.6 degrees. The early morning temperature was 51 degrees and warmed to 79 degrees by noon. The wind was ESE 5-10 mph but was nearly calm at the start. The calm wind seemed to be a problem for the fish because the only bite we got on the first spot near the Crib was a crappie. We left that area and ran up the lake to Driftwood Point fishing the point and into the bay. No bites there so we moved up to Belleview Point and did the same thing and caught a very small smallmouth on a tube. We ran across to Vukote Bar and went into the canal where we caught one largemouth near the walkway bridge. By now the wind had increase to put a good chop on the water surface so we went back to the Crib area. This was the right move. Starting at about 10:30 we caught 9 smallmouth, 2 more largemouth, 2 walleye, another crappie and a bullhead. All were caught on tubes. Both walleyes were not keepers. The largemouth were 2-2 ¼ pound and the smallmouth ranged from 2 ½ to 5 pounds. The fish came from depths of 2- 7 feet. With the water temperatures raising the bass will be on the beds soon.  
May 4, 2013…7:30am-1:00pm. A warmer morning at 61 degrees with SE winds at 10-15 mph made for a bit more comfortable morning. We fished the lower basin this morning primarily at strip of rock between the Crib and the south shore in 6-7 feet. The water temperature was 54 degrees. The water was stained and we had clear sunny skies. We fished a tube and a weighted fluke and caught 5 nice smallmouth in the 3-5 pound range. We tried Sheldon Hall, Maple Bay and then ran up to Warner’s Bar where we caught 1 more small mouth, again on a tube. The water temperature on Warner’s was 51 degrees. Hopefully the warmer weather in next week’s forecast helps the water temperature get into the low 60’s a nd the bigger fish move shallow.  
May 3, 2013…6:30am-10:00am. This was one tough morning, cold, windy and just plain uncomfortable! The winds were stronger today coming from the SSE at 10-20 mph. I had every intention of checking the shallow waters in the northern basin for spawning bass but the wind just didn’t allow that to happen. The water was dingy at best and very rough. Water temperature was cooler compared to yesterday’s lower basin at 51.2 degrees and the air temperature was 48 degrees to start. Skies were clear and sunny. I started at Warner’s Bar mainly because it was somewhat sheltered from the wind. I covered the majority of the bar from 4 feet out to 15 feet using a crankbait, jerkbait and tube but could not get a bite or find any spawners. A couple of other boats were out there and they were having the same results. By 9:30 I had enough and whimped heading back to the ramp at Long Point calling it a day.  
May 2, 2013…6:30am-10:30am. The water temperature has come up to 55.6 degrees in the lower basin as of this morning. The wind was SSE at 5-10 mph and increase quickly to 10-15 mph. The morning temperature was 67 degrees with clear sunny skies. The water was stained from the constant heavy winds for the last couple of days. Our fishing was tough, getting only 2 bites but they were good ones producing two 4+ smallies. Both fish came from 7 feet on a tube jig. We worked crankbaits and jerkbaits, as well as the tube jig. We fished the Lakewood Beach area, Crib and Lakewood Bar. There were a lot of boats fishing crappie off the Lakewood area around Derby Bar. They were one on top of the other so some catching had to be going on. The weather looks good for the weekend and all of next week so things should really pick up.  
Chautauqua Angling Adventures®
All rights reserved - 2004-2017

Contact our with any suggestions or problems 

This page was last updated on: 12/31/2016